The Mikmaq called it Chebucto (Biggest Harbour). When the British arrived in 1749, they named the newly established community after Lord Halifax, president of the British Board of Trade. For the first few years such tasks as fighting fires were performed by the military. But in 1754, the Union Fire Club was formed, effectively becoming the first organized fire department in Canada, and one of the oldest in North America. It became the Union Engine Company in 1768. In 1996 the Municipalities of Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford, and Halifax County Municipality amalgamated to form Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM).